Friday, March 7, 2008

To Quilt or Not to Quilt

I had wanted to take sewing lessons for some time, but there was always some impediment in the way (like a lack of a sewing machine for starters). I saw that my local school district, however, had partnered with a local sewing store to offer classes on beginning sewing. Best of all, you didn't have to have your own machine - you could use one of theirs.

So, I finally signed up last fall. I was frustrated at the beginning because I just couldn't figure out the machine and the thinking that goes into making something. Eventually, though, I got the hang of it. By the end of the classes, I decided to buy the machine and continue to sew.

Most of my projects since the classes ended have been from magazines and I have essentially taught myself the techniques required to do them. Frankly, I find that much more interesting than sitting in a classroom, anyway. I have the basic principles down, now it is a matter of applying them in new ways.

I am now tackling my first quilt. It is my for my best friend who is expecting her first baby in June. I promised her a quilt when she first told me the news even though I was still extremely raw that had achieved what I had so far been unable to do (and without intervention, no less). I procrastinated in picking a pattern and fabrics because starting the quilt would mean that this was really going to happen. Eventually, though, I sucked it up and just started. I found a pattern that I loved (and which she liked a lot, too), and picked the fabrics. A few weeks later, I cut all of the pieces.

And, now I have started to sew. And sew.




I don't know how thrilled I am about the fabric that I picked, but frankly, it's not for me. This is only the beginning, though. I have a lot of work to do before June.

1 comment:

Sadie Marie said...

Good for you! My mother has been quilting since time began. Its weird to see her sitting on the couch without a quilt in her lap (she does everything by hand). I'm working on a quilt now... and its so much fun!