Friday, April 18, 2008

$4 and a Plastic Pink Flamingo

I knew this day would come. I knew that eventually it would be my turn at the table of humiliation. I knew one day, I would get the Pink Flamingo of Shame. That day was yesterday.
Behold, my drunken master.
Last night, I headed down the street to my neighbor's house with $3 in my pocket and the promise of some good finger food and decent wine. All of the neighborhood ladies were there as usual and soon the talk turned to how awful the new grocery store is up the street, and other heady topics of conversation.

Then we got down to the gambling. The game? bunco. The stakes? $3 per person. Typically, we play 12 rounds and then divvy up the winnings afterwards. It's so easy to win money, too. You can win if you have the most number of wins, the most number of buncos (which is when you roll three sixes at once), if you have an even number of wins or losses - and you can even win money if you have the most losses ($4 in fact!). But, if you have the most losses, you get a little something extra. You get my plastic friend here.

Yep, I had a whopping 11 losses last night. Blame the cheap wine, blame the lack of concentration, but mostly just blame luck, since it is literally the role of the dice. So, for the rest of the month, and into next month, Pinkey here will be in front of my house, declaring to all who know that I was the biggest loser at Bunco. Here he is again trying to sneak out of the front bushes:

Oh, the humanity.

5 comments:

Shinejil said...

The Scarlet Flamingo!

Oh, Mrs. X, you should invite me to play: I always lose at games like that...

Lori Lavender Luz said...

Girlfriend, in SOME neighborhoods, that flamingo would be a badge of honor!

Holding up an "L" on my forehead for you.

(just kidding. you know that, right?)

loribeth said...

OMG, too funny!!

Mrs.X said...

shinejil- I'll remember your offer next time. Although, Pinkey would need to be shipped.

lori - I deserve the L!

Loribeth - :)

Emily (Apron Strings) said...

LOL! I like Pinky! I think you should get some of those outfits that people dress their duck statues and dress up Pinky!